Friday, October 07, 2005

Headline News Art Show


I have 5 paintings in a new art show called "Headline News". You can see my art at the show or you can take a look at this web site: http://www.geocities.com/graphicguild/shows2005.html

The show is a group show of the Central Fraser Valley Graphic Guild and I am the president (and web master) so that is why it is mostly my art on that page at the moment. I plan to add some more when I get the chance, but for now that is all there is.

I painted this painting of Safari Lions hunting Smart cars. It is based on a news story about the Knowsley Safari Park in England where they noticed lions being unusually interested in the Smart cars. When I painted the picture of the safari lions, I realized there were a few similarities with artists. Artists also hunt, are always on the prowl looking for an interesting subject to capture onto a 2 dimensional surface. They are not as good at stalking purchasers or rich patrons. Like lions in a safari park, safari artists often rely on the good graces of their keepers, galleries and others to give their work public exposure. Like in a safari park, galleries open their doors to let tourists see the sights. And for the artists established in a gallery stable, there is some safety within the gallery—after all it’s a jungle out there. Fortunately also, like safari lions, artists are relatively tame, but when aroused their natural instincts will kick in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home